1. The President of India, Ram Nath Kovind, released National Institutional Ranking Framework -2019 (NIRF) and presented the India Rankings awards to the top eight institutions in different categories at a function held in New Delhi on April 8, 2019. IIT Madras topped the ranking in the list of top ten engineering institutions in India.
2. The President of India, Ram Nath Kovind, released National Institutional Ranking Framework -2019 (NIRF) and presented the India Rankings awards to the top eight institutions in different categories at a function held in New Delhi on April 8, 2019. IISc, Bengaluru topped the ranking in the list of top ten universities in India.
3. Hockey India on April 8, 2019, named Australia’s Graham Reid as the new chief coach of the Indian men’s hockey team. The 54-year-old will join the team in Bengaluru shortly for the on-going National Camp at Sports Authority of India. India had been without a head coach ever since Harendra Singh was sacked after the men’s team exited the Hockey World Cup at home in the quarter-final.
4. Mahendra Mohan Gupta, Chairman & Managing Director, Jagran Prakashan Ltd and Editorial Director, Dainik Jagran, was awarded under Lifetime Contribution to Media category. Also, Azim H Premji, Chairman, Wipro Limited was awarded a Lifetime Contribution Award.
5. Dream11 has become the first Indian gaming company to be valued at over $1 billion. With this, it has entered India’s growing club of unicorns, or startups valued at over $1 billion. The valuation of Dream11 Fantasy Pvt. Ltd., the startup’s parent, soared to just under $1.5 billion after a secondary stake purchase by Hong Kong-based Steadview Capital.
6. The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) on April 8, 2019, issued “Minimum Standards for a Currency Chest”, the guidelines for banks to set up new currency chests. The area of the strong room or vault of the new currency chest shall be of at least 1500 square feet.
7. India was positioned as the world’s top recipient of remittances with its diaspora sending USD 79 billion back home in 2018, according to the World Bank’s latest Migration and Development Brief. India managed to retain its top spot in remittances by registering a significant flow of remittances from USD 62.7 billion in 2016 to USD 65.3 billion in 2017 and to USD 79 billion in 2018.
8. US President Donald Trump on April 8, 2019, announced designating of Iran’s ‘Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC)’, the elite military force, as a terrorist organization. As per the US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, the move is a part of the US efforts to put maximum pressure on Iran to end its support for terrorist plots and militant activity that trembles the Middle East.
9. The World Homoeopathy Day 2019 will be observed across the world on April 10, 2019, to commemorate the birth anniversary of the founder of Homoeopathy, Dr. Christian Fredrich Samuel Hahnemann.
10. The Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF) on April 9, 2019, celebrated its 54th Valour Day. On April 9, 1965, a small contingent of 2nd Battalion of CRPF successfully fought and repulsed an attack by a Pakistani Brigade at Sardar Post in the Rann of Kutch in Gujarat. They eliminated 34 Pakistani soldiers and captured four soldiers alive.
09th April 2019 Current Affairs Quiz: Click Here
09th April 2019 Current Affairs PDF: Download
Note: Are Looking for Job?, then please subscribe to our Youtube Channel